Getting tax relief for expenses

If you don’t have to fill in a tax return, you can get tax relief for your allowable expenses by:

  • Filling in form P87 Tax Relief for Expenses of Employment
  • By Phone

The first time you ask for tax relief for your expenses you’ll have to contact HMRC in writing. To do this you should complete a form P87.

The form asks for details about your expenses and how you worked out the amount you want to claim.

If you have more than one job, or if you change jobs during the tax year, you’ll need to fill in a separate form P87 for each job.

  • Go to form P87
  • By phone

If you phone HMRC to ask for relief for your expenses they will only be able to give you tax relief if all of the following conditions are met:

  • your expenses are less than £1,000 (or £2,500 for professional fees and subscriptions)
  • you’ve claimed them in a previous tax year for the same employment
  • HMRC has accepted your earlier claim
  • you haven’t already been sent a P87 to complete

If you meet the conditions, HMRC will give you tax relief right away and repay any tax you’ve overpaid. Otherwise, you’ll have to fill in form P87 before they can allow your claim.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>